Read 2 Corinthians 8:2-5
Without much thought, the answers to, “Why we give,” may seem obvious:
- Because the Bible says to do so
- Because of what God has done for me
- Because He is worthy
But try turning that question around, how do we worship through giving? Because If all I'm doing is routinely writing a check each month, that's not worship.
We can start by being like the Corinthians in 2 Corinthians 8:2-5, who though desperately poor (Message), welled up in rich generosity, even pleading to share in giving. How could they give like that? “They gave themselves first to the Lord.” ( v. 5) How can we be like these early Christians in our worship with our gifts?
- We recognize our own position before Him and that all we have comes from Him.
- We declare Him as our first love, more than His gifts or our pocketbooks.
- We show our adoration and devotion by freely, generously giving back ourselves and a portion of His gifts to us.
- We become intentional as we write that check, being sure we are surrendering all of us. And as we drop the check in the offertory, we intentionally say, “Thank You for the privilege to give. You are worthy of my whole heart and all that I have.”
That is how we worship Him through our giving!
One great way to weave worship into our daily lives is to fill it with music that helps focus our hearts on our great God. Here is a Spotify playlist that has all the songs our worship team has led us through in the last month’s Sunday evening services to get you started. http://bit.ly/GBCPMThisMonth It’s updated weekly, so “follow” it to keep fresh worship music in your life.