Read 1 John 3:18
Dear children, let’s not merely say that we love each other, let us show the truth by our actions.
Recently while traveling, I noticed how many women and children were standing on our trolley. It struck me that we rarely see individuals give their seat up for the less fortunate. Our society has become so focused on self that we have forgotten about others and their needs.
1 John 3:18 explains we must show truth in our actions. Are we daily treating others how we would want to be treated? It’s easy to get caught up in our lives with our families and friends, never venturing out to assist others. We claim we don’t have time or opportunity to serve others, yet we can show Jesus in our daily activities.
1. Hold a door open for someone to enter.
2. Allow a person with fewer groceries to skip you in line.
3. Mow a neighbor’s yard who is out of town.
4. Cook dinner for a single parent or elderly couple.
5. Talk to your neighbors.
6. Leave an extra tip for your waiter with a note that says, "Jesus Loves You."
7. Buy a Sunday newspaper from a street vendor—tell him to keep the change
8. Offer to babysit for free
Those who don’t know you will recognize that you are different: unselfish, loving, kind. In this instance, being different is for the right reasons. Take time to really listen to others. Sometimes your time is what others find most valuable. Show them Jesus every day and always be ready and looking for ways to tell them about His Good News.