In her new book Fervent, Priscilla Shirer writes," You have an enemy and he is dead set on destroying all you hold dear." I had picked up the book because, since 2011, Satan has been brazenly, openly waging war against the people I hold dearest. Some in my family have had serious health issues, marital problems, depression, death, financial difficulties (including loss of a job), and more.
The Lord has graciously brought me through many of these things through Scripture, prayer, and His grace. But I was sick of it, and angry! So when I saw " A Woman's Battle Plan for Serious, Specific, and Strategic Prayer”' (against Satan) as the subtitle of the book Fervent, I grabbed it and devoured it. Armed with the Word of God and the authority of Jesus Christ, I set out to fight my enemy. I saw that it wasn't enough just to read the Scripture, or even carry the words around on index cards. I had to memorize them, so that I could speak out loud the truths of God about my enemy.
- that he was overruled. Ephesians 1:20-22
- that he was mastered and will one day confess Jesus as Lord.
- that he was rendered powerless. Hebrews 2:14
- that he was disarmed and embarrassed. Colossians 2:15
- that his doom is certain and his time is short. Revelation 12:12
- that he better quit messing with my family because "greater is He within me than He that is in the world". 1 John 4:4
I am no longer a victim. Nor do I focus my anger, frustration, bitterness, and despair on the people around me. Claiming that "His divine power has given me all I need for life" ( 2 Peter 1:3), I confront that slimy serpent who came to steal, kill, and destroy - to take away my joy. My problems have not all gone away, but no longer am I walking in defeat. Much more quickly, armed with His Word, I confront my enemy and walk in victory!